Getting stung by a stingray is not a fun thing that's for sure and it's not like a bee sting that lasts for a few seconds -it lasts for several hours- and can be very very painful. Fortunately for me I have a way to boil water in my vehicle so I can soak my foot right away and I have done so, but a lot of people who come to the beach don't have that, although the lifeguards at sunset do have some things they do provide for those who have been stung which is better than nothing I suppose.
I've learned from these experiences and done some research so I know a little bit more about how to avoid getting stung but it's not always possible to avoid. There's a thing they call the "stingray shuffle" in which you keep your feet on the sand and so that stingray hears you coming & moves away usually. What usually causes them to lash out is if you surprise them like if you jump up in the water for a wave 🌊 and then you come down on top of them.
Further problem is that Huntington Beach sunset beach etc don't like to put up signs warning people about the stingrays because they know it will freak people out and the beach tourism is a big part of their economy. So people have to learn the hard way .
I went saw a young girl get stung by a stingray and then she came out and she was on the beach town and crying and complaining and the mother said " oh don't be a baby ". oh well the mother didn't know how bad it hurts. It can feel like you'd rather die it hurts so bad. The good thing is you can be sure that it will subside over time but it definitely helps to have some hot water to keep your foot in for a while.
There are times by the way that a stingray could be fatal if they hit you in the chest and if it's a big one such as that one that happened to that famous nature guy I forget his name- I think it was in Australia or he was Australian anyways- but usually the stingrays by the shore are small and they only sting near the foot.